Search This Blog

Monday 24 June 2013

Super Vixen from Tel-Aviv: An interview with Dorine Levy

In the build-up to the October release of her self-produced debut LP ‘Underwater’, French-Canadian super vixen Dorine Levy has released ‘There for Me’, a syrupy taster of what’s in store for her blossoming fan base.  After spotlight grabbing appearances at the MTV Australia awards, SXSW 2013 and Indie Week Canada to name but a few, it’s hardly any wonder what the fuss is all about!

Raised miles away from all she held dear in Tel Aviv, Dorine found that she pined most for her brother’s vinyl collection!  After serving in military school she found a sonic catalyst in fashion and she was off to music school before she knew it!  After finding Eitan, her one-man muse, she released a few tracks that ultimately failed to flourish... and here we find ourselves.
  
You can watch her video below and believe me, with Israeli modelling actress Hen Yanni in the frame, you won’t regret it!  But for those who prioritise substance over sexy, perhaps you’d like to learn a little more about Dorine herself; she kindly took the time to answer a few questions for you good folk, so I hope you enjoy this cheeky glimpse beyond Dorine's lovely bubble-gum exterior!



AS:  Is bedtime more half nine with a half read paper or more half four with fully red eyes?
DL:  Half four with fully red eyes… absolutely!  I go to sleep very late; the earliest is around 2am and if I'm writing I can stay in the studio much later. In my experience the best songs come at 4am.

AS:  Where do you go when it all gets too much?
DL:  I go straight to my studio, open a new project on Cubase and start a new track; after 3 hours I come back out, usually feeling much better and with a new track!

AS:  What’s the best / your favourite music video?
DL: I've been in love with Fever Ray's 'When I Grow Up' music video for a year now; it's mysterious and edited perfectly with the vibe of the song.

AS:  If you were a musical instrument what would you be?
DL:  Good question.  I think a Piano ‘cause its dynamic and you have to tune it every once in a while!

AS:  What’s ‘love at first sight’ all about then?
DL:  I really don't know because I never had it; I believe in process.

AS:  Where do you draw your inspiration from?
DL:  Everything really.  A new sound, a new plugin, a new beat I heard and liked; my friends, my heartbreaks, my mom…

AS:  Where do you most enjoy playing live?
DL:  Everywhere!  I especially enjoyed playing at SXSW this year.
 
AS:  When do you plan to take over the world?
DL:  When I lose my mind! Why would I want to do that?

AS:  What changes can we expect with your latest outing?
DL:  The tracks on my debut album 'Underwater' were made in a very unique way for me. They were written and recorded at the same time; I wrote them directly on the computer. I was in a very unconscious mode, just writing a song a day in a 4 week period.  I couldn’t do anything else at that time.

Some months later I realised that these songs would be my debut album.  It seemed right to leave the tracks as ‘virginal’ as possible, leaving the vocals as they were recorded while I was writing them. So the album feels really fluent with lots of layers, electronic beats and keys; the vocals are raw and add an edge to each track.

AS:  Who were your heroes as a teenager?
DL:  I had so many. I loved Depeche Mode and Pink Floyd because of my big brother who was listening to them.  Also, Fiona Apple and Tori Amos; I loved the nuances in their voices.  Guns and Roses and Metallica and even Aaliyah… then later it was all the grunge coming out from Seattle, so Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Mad Season etc…

AS:  Do you enjoy playing live or are you more at home in a studio?
DL:  When I have a good show I enjoy it very much, but when I don't I can really suffer.  I can honestly say that I am still trying to find my place on stage, but in the studio I swim like a fish!

AS:  What’s been the highlight of your year?
DL:  There have been lots of highlights this year, so it’s hard to mention just one.  Lots of shows including the aforementioned SXSW were great. Meeting new people and friends and finishing the recording was great too. I'm happy to release the first music video for the opening track of the album; I’m really excited about this one!

AS:  Any forthcoming plans?
DL:  Touring in the US and Canada. I need a booking agent; do you know someone?!

AS:  Are you unlucky in love and if so, why?
DL:   No, I’m lucky.

AS:  What’s the best ever song, movie or album?
DL:  'Let Down' by Radiohead from their ‘OK Computer’ album.

AS: Where did you sleep last night?
DL:  At home in bed with my love and my cat.

AS: Which instrument does it for you most?
DL:  Everything!  But oriental instruments like the oud have appealed to me lately.
                                                   AS:  What inspired the LP title?
DL:  The title 'Underwater' was inspired by many things and it took me a few months to come up with.  I wanted a title which described the state I was in while it was created.  Underwater fit perfectly ‘cause it reflected the gravity-defying breathless state I was in, whilst mostly being free.

You can buy There for Me right here, right now from iTunes.  For further information on the pop palace’s newest Princess, please visit Dorine’ s very own website, SoundCloud or Facebook page.  Now then, without detracting from the musical merit herein, I think it's time to load up on eye candy and to check out that video again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please follow my blog; thanks for getting in touch too!